Welcome to our website.
St. Andrews has been a
centre for Christian worship for more than 1000 years.
Celebrations were held in 1969 to commemorate the
900th anniversary of the foundation of St Andrew's Church, although the
earliest remaining parts date from 1100.
Cardinal Morton, Chancellor of England and Archbishop
of Canterbury under Henry VII was born in the parish and the Morton (&
later Morton-Pleydell) families played an enormous part in the history
of the village and its Church.
Memorial tablets in the Church trace the family's
history over some 250 years.
Our Parish Registers of all baptisms, marriages and
burials date from 1570.
The Victorian restoration, when the Box pews and
gallery were removed, was under the direction of George Street, one of
the foremost of Victorian architects.
One of the casualties of the restoration however, was the
Norman font which was thrown out, later to be discovered buried in
the Vicarage garden! Happily, it has now been restored to the
Church and is used for baptisms today, providing a tangible link with